Travel and Visa


Session One: Saturday, June 23rd 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
Session Two: Saturday, July 14th 2:00 PM-6:00 PM
Please register at the Smith Union, #38 on this map


Session One: Saturday, July 14th before 10:00 AM
Session Two: Saturday, August 4th before 10:00 AM


  • Car: For registration, please direct your GPS to “Smith Union, Brunswick, Maine 04011”.
  • Bus: Two bus services drop off in Brunswick: Concord Trailways and Greyhound. The Bowdoin Campus is within walking distance of the bus stop.
  • Train: The Amtrak Downeaster has service from Boston’s North Station to Brunswick.
  • Plane: The Portland International Jetport, PWM, is the closest airport to Brunswick. Participants can also fly to Boston’s’ Logan Airport, BOS, or Manchester, New Hampshire, MHT.
  • Shuttle Service: To use the van service from and to the Portland Jetport, please make a reservation online through Mermaid Transportation. For service from and to Boston or Manchester, contact Mermaid Transportation directly at 207-885-5630. When you call, be sure to identify yourself as a participant at the Bowdoin International Music Festival.
  • Brunswick Tour and Travel:; 207-725-5587 can assist you in making airline, hotel and car reservations.
  • The Brunswick Inn: The official Inn of the Festival and within walking distance of the Bowdoin College campus. Contact them at 800-299-4914, (207-729-4914 from outside the U.S.).

Festival Participants are responsible for travel arrangements to and from the Festival.

International Travel

You may be eligible to travel without a visa. The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.

If you are not eligible to travel without a visa, you will need to apply for a visa. Accepted participants are able to attend the Festival under a B-2 tourism visa. For documentation and verification of this program status, please contact the Festival and we will provide you with a letter explaining our classification as a “festival” as opposed to a “school” (you may need this letter for your visa application). It is important to establish that you are here for a temporary stay and show evidence that you will return to your home country. You should have no trouble if you bring the following documents with you:

  • Bowdoin Program Status letter (mentioned above – please contact the Festival to receive a copy of this letter).
  • A copy of your acceptance letter.
  • A copy of your Participation Agreement forms and final invoice.
  • Evidence of continuing ties to your home country. This may include school records that indicate your status as a continuing student, a letter from an employer, or a letter from your parents indicating that they expect you to return at a particular time or for a specific purpose.
  • Evidence of overseas residence – school correspondence, rental agreement, canceled mail with your current address on it.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds and/or financial support to travel to and remain temporarily in the U.S. – bank records or a letter from your school or family that states their support for your trip.
  • A round-trip ticket.

If you are not a U.S. citizen but are traveling to the Festival from within the U.S., you may need to have your current visa updated. Please confirm with whoever is supporting your visa.