The Festival’s summer String Quartet Fellowship is a fully-funded opportunity for emerging preformed string quartets, open to college-age students and older.
The program offers mentorship from faculty, guest quartets, and in-residence quartets for an intensive exploration of string quartet repertoire. In addition to rehearsal and study, the quartet will have the opportunity to perform alongside faculty in our subscription series, as part of the Young Artist Series, and as chamber music ambassadors throughout Midcoast Maine.
As part of the Community Concert series, the Fellowship Quartet engages with various audiences in non-traditional performance venues such as breweries, coastal resorts, libraries, community centers, care centers, and museums. Through these outreach opportunities, the quartet will widen their reach and identify entrepreneurial ways to interact and grow through music.
The Fellowship Quartet is defined by their advanced artistry, command of their instruments, and commitment to outstanding musical experiences. Festival alumni have gone on to form or join renowned quartets such as the Parker, Dover, Navarra, and Pacifica String Quartets. A summer at the Festival surrounds Fellows with advanced students and offers opportunities and resources to realize their passions, bring joy through music to the lives of others, and prepare for meaningful careers in the arts.
- Regular coachings and mentorship by faculty and quartets-in-residence
- Private rehearsal studio for duration of Festival
- Ample rehearsal time
- Composer lectures
- Seminars with faculty and industry professionals
- Subscription Concert Series performances
- Young Artist Series performances
- Community Concert performances
- Masterclasses with guest quartets
- Collaborations with guest and student composers
- Full tuition, room, and board for all quartet members
- Free tickets to faculty concerts
- Flexible schedule
- Livestreaming of performances and masterclasses
- HD video recordings of performances
- Photo sessions with Festival photographer
The String Quartet program program is open to college age students and older.
Please submit two contrasting pieces of any length that best represent your current level of playing. Videos may be uploaded or linked from YouTube or Vimeo.
List of Works
Chamber works studied during the past year.
Please explain what your quartet hopes to learn from the program.
Letter of Recommendation
Please provide one reference. You will need to provide your recommender’s email address. Please tell them to expect an email from SlideRoom requesting an electronic submission of your recommendation.
- 2020 application fees and deadlines will be announced soon!
- Application Deadline: January 21, 2019, 11:59 PM EST
- Non-refundable Application Fee: $99
- Fee for late applicants, after January 21: $149